3 1/2 cup ladyfinger
2 cup thick curd
1/2 cup grated coconut
3 dry red chilies
2 springs curry leaves
2Â tsp oil
salt (namak) to taste
2 green chillies
Eastern Whitepepper Currypowder to taste
How to make lady finger kichadi ?
●Cut the lady finger in small round pieces.
●Deep fry ladyfinger in oil till crisp.
●Pound grated coconut; green chilies and mustard into a thick paste and keep it aside.
●Take oil in pan and over high flame season mustard, red chilli andÂ curry leaves.
●Lower the flame, add curd and the ground ingredients and let it simmer for few
minutes stirring continuously..
●Add fried lady finger and salt to it and remove from flame after it boils.
Note: You can use Pavakkai (Bitter Gourd) instead of Ladies Finger as a variation)
Steamed Chicken With Chilli Sauce And Vegetables
Chicken with bone and skin : 800 gms
Chilly Sauce: 4 tablespoons
Cabbage cut into big pieces-1/2 small
Carrot cut into big pieces-1
Potato into big pieces-1
French beans cut into big pieces-6-8
Ginger-garlic paste-1 tablespoon
Eastern turmeric powder-1/4 teaspoon
Juice of 1 lemon
First of all you need to make a marinade mix. Mix chilli sauce, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder and lemon juice. Prick the chicken with a tooth pick, and then coat it with the marinade and keep aside for 20-25 minutes.
Use eastern condiments and curry powders for better taste.
Add two cups of water in a pressure cooker. Keep cabbage at the bottom of the cooker. Top it with carrot, potato and French beans. Place chicken on top and spread the remaining marinade on the top.
Cook under pressure, on high heat till 4 whistles are given out. Lower heat and cook for 10 minutes. Place the cabbage leaves on a serving plate, top it with the chicken and the remaining vegetables and serve hot.
1 loaf Bread
1/2 cup grated Paneer (Cottage Cheese)
2 Green chillies
1/4 tsp Eastern Redchilli Powder
Salt to taste
Butter as needed
How to make paneer sandwich ?
- Chop onions, chillies and tomatoes.
- Mix the grated paneer with chopped vegetables, salt, red chilli powder and keep aside.
- Take two bread slices and butter them, put some paneer mixture on one slice and cove it with other bread slice.
- Put this in sandwich toaster until the bread turns crispy and brown.
- Serve with ketchup
Use Eastern Condiments and Currypowder for Better Taste.
I whole chicken
10 cloves garlic
1/4 cup Eastern Garam Masala Powder
- You can preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- You can keep the chicken upright on a rack in a roasting pan. Cut 10 slits in the skin using a sharp knife, pull the skin away from the meat; keep a garlic clove into each slit. Apply masala powder over the whole chicken. Squeeze the lime juice over the chicken, turn the chicken breast side down in the roasting pan, and place the rind in the chicken cavity.
- Roast the chicken in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Lower the oven to 350 degrees F and bake till the bone and the juices become clear for around 45 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven, cover it with an aluminum foil sheet. Keep it like that 10 minutes before you slice it down.
Use eastern curry powder and condiments for better taste.
1 cup mixed lentils – toor, masoor, urad and moong (1/4 cup each)
500 gms boneless chicken pieces
10 black peppercorns
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1″ piece of mace
2 large bay leaves
1 star anise
3 dry red chillies
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp Eastern turmeric powder
1 large bunch each of fresh coriander leaves and fenugreek leaves
1/2 bunch mint leaves
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1 tbsp garlic paste
1 tbsp ginger paste
2 tbsps vegetable oil
1 litre chicken stock
Salt to taste
How To Prepare?
Wash the lentils well and put them in a deep pan, add the chicken stock, salt to taste and a cup of water. Boil the lentils till it becomes soft.
When the lentils start to boil, you can heat a griddle on a medium flame and dry roast all the spices (except the turmeric and nutmeg) till they begin to release their aroma.
Remove from the fire, cool and powder it in a spice grinder. Mix turmeric and nutmeg to it and keep aside.
You can whisk the lentils to give them soup-like consistency and keep it aside.
Heat the cooking oil in a pan on a medium flame and when hot, add the fresh coriander, fenugreek and mint leaves to it. Fry till soft. Remove from the fire and cool. Grind into a smooth paste in a food processor.
Heat a deep, heavy-bottomed pan on a medium flame and add the lentils, ginger, garlic and tamarind pastes and bring to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
Add a cup of water, the spice powder and coriander-fenugreek-mint paste you made earlier, salt if required and the chicken pieces. Mix well. Simmer and cook till the chicken is done. Add more water to maintain consistency. Dhansak hot chicken is ready to serve with rice.
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 diced onion
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp curry paste
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Eastern Red Chilly Powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ginger root (minced)
- 14 ounces of tomato puree
How To Make Red Lentil Curry?
- You can first wash the lentils thoroughly in cold water till the water becomes clear. You can keep the the lentils in a pot with water to cover and simmer it to make it tender.
- While you cook the lentils, In a large pan you can caramelize the onions in vegetable oil.
- After the onions are well cooked, you can make a mixture out of curry paste, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, salt, sugar, garlic, ginger and add to it. You can then cook it over a high flame stirring continuously for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree and reduce heat, allow the curry base to simmer until the lentils are ready.
- When the lentils are tender drain them. Mix the curry base into the lentils and serve hot.
3 cups water
230gms carrots (scraped and cut into 2″long sticks)
11/2 tbsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp eastern chili currypowder
1/8 th tsp each ground mace, cloves and cardamom
1/4 th cup shredded jaggery
1/3rd cup mustard oil
● Boil the water in 2-litre saucepan. Add carrots and blanch for a minute.
● Drain the water and then spread carrots on a clean cloth and sundry (or spread them on
a towel lined cookie tray and air dry in an oven (200-degree Fahrenheit) for an hour).
● In a bowl mix the mace, cloves, cardamom, salt and jaggery.
● Add the carrots and toss to mix. Transfer to a sterilized glass jar.
● Pour the mustard oil into a small saucepan and place it over a moderate heat. As soon as oil begins to smoke remove it from the heat and cool it for 4 minutes, then pour it into the jar and cover it with a clean cloth.
● Set the jar in sunlight for 13-14 days, bringing it indoor evrynight. Shake the jar two or
three times daily.
500gms Long Grain (Basmati) Rice
100gms Onion sliced vertically
5gms Cinnamon (dalchini)
5gms cardamom (Elaichi)
a pinch of eastern turmeric powder
1gm saffron (kesar)
10 ml Milk
20gms cashew nut
salt to taste
How to make Kashmiri pulao ?
● Wash and soak rice.
● Heat oil and fry onions till golden brown and remove.
● Fry whole spices, turmeric powder, add rice and sauté.
● Add half-saffron dissolved in little warm milk.
● Add hot water and mix well.
● Cook a little. Finish with remaining saffron and cook till grains are separated and done.
● Garnish kashmiri pulao with fried onions, walnuts & cashew nuts.
Use eastern curry powders and condiments for better taste.
3 1/2- to 4-pound chicken, giblets removed
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon eastern blackpepper powder
Adjust oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 450° F.
Place a rack in a large ovenproof skillet or small roasting pan.
Rinse the chicken inside and out and pat dry. Place in pan.
Tuck the wings beneath the chicken, as if it were placing its arms behind its head.
Rub the oil over the skin. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Toss the remaining salt into the cavity.
Roast for 20 minutes. Add 1 cup water and roast until the chicken is cooked through and the thigh meat registers 180° F on a meat thermometer, about 40 minutes more.
Use a spatula to loosen the chicken. With a wad of paper towels in each hand, transfer it to a cutting board. Let it rest for at least 15 minutes before carving. If making a pan sauce, reserve the drippings.
Use eastern curry powder and condiments for better taste.